3/17/11

Not Forgetting Robert Emmet

This is a fine day to become acquainted with the Dublin-born Robert Emmet, an Irish patriot extraordinaire, an orator, and an American Revolution sympathizer, who was executed in 1803 (for treason) at the tender age of 25.

You could even argue that Emmet didn't want to be remembered.

His memorable last speech: “I have not been allowed to vindicate my character. I have but one request to ask at my departure from this world: it is the charity of its silence. Let no man write my epitaph; for as no man who knows my motives dare to vindicate them, let not prejudice or ignorance asperse them. Let them rest in obscurity and peace: my memory be left in oblivion and my tomb remain uninscribed, until other times and other men can do justice to my character. When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my epitaph be written.”

This was a very commmitted young man.

No comments: