7/13/13

Pat Goetze Signs with the Red Sox

Here's the blurb, and here's the original news story about Pat Goetze, NC homeschooler, being drafted in the 2013 MLB First-Year Player 36th round by the Boston Red Sox.

Pat the Pitcher had to decide by July 12 whether to accept the offer from Beantown or go to Louisburg College to play ball. He is now in Fort Myers, Florida probably at the Red Sox's developmental complex.

What I continue to appreciate about this story is that Pat has never played on a public or private school sports team. He found alternatives, outside the mainstream, to exercise his talents and stuck with them. (Apparently NC doesn't allow homeschoolers to participate on pub. ed teams.)

Even a Tim Tebow or a Collin Klein had to go 'establishment' to play football. (I'm not criticizing, just saying ... )

I also appreciate Pat's philosophy, "Give God the Glory. I will be the best I can be."




No comments: