9/7/11

Eco-Friendly Loo

The non-profit organization Food for the Poor has been installing (and trial-testing) waterless toilets in remote parts of Jamaica and Haiti.

How it works: "The system separates liquid and solid waste as it enters the toilet bowl. Liquid waste drains to the bottom of the container, while solid waste remains on the drying plate. Both are exposed to a continuous flow of air. As the air moves through the system it dehydrates the solid waste as it migrates down the drying plate, and causes the liquid to evaporate quickly. The negative pressure within the container prevents the escape of any odor through the toilet bowl or through the air inlet pipes. The odor is vented into the atmosphere via the wind driven extractor."

(Sorry if that was TMI, but it made me appreciate my flush toilets.)

More about the Enviro Loo here.

2 comments:

Ed said...

MassHighway has been installing something a little more complex but likewise ecofriendly in some rest areas but for purely economic reasons -- no city water, no city sewerage -- they have to deal with wells, septic tanks and the rest -- or not and the latter is a whole lot cheaper/easier and it really doesn't smell or anything.

I am not a tree hugger but if something works AND IS CHEAPER & EASIER TO DO well, then, I will hold my nose and write the check to the eco-nazi -- it is called a "free market" and if you produce a better product that does the same thing without my having to deal with a lot of other logistics (at no small expense), hey...

TCC said...

I'm not criticizing eco-friendly products. I think it's honorable that this ministry is trying to help the poor by employing the innovations of the free market. I'm just relieved that in my everyday, middle American life I can rely on good ol' flush toilets.