- Manufacturing, temporary help services, and mining added jobs, while construction employment declined.
- The unemployment rate edged down to 9.7 percent.
- The number of unemployed persons was 15.0 million in May.
- The unemployment rate edged down to 9.7 percent, the same rate as in the
first 3 months of 2010.
- Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for blacks (15.5 percent) declined in May, while the rates for adult men (9.8 percent),adult women (8.1 percent), teenagers (26.4 percent), whites (8.8 percent), and Hispanics (12.4 percent) showed little change. The jobless rate for Asians was 7.5 percent, not seasonally adjusted.
- About 2.2 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force
in May, unchanged from a year earlier.